Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day 168: French-speaking region

Lausanne, the International Olympics capital, is also where I spent the “transitional” phase of my life (according to a book I read at IMD). Although my last visit to Lausanne was only nine months ago, this trip was different because of the long journey and my lovely companion, Katy. It was very good to see some of my friends again in Lausanne.

Besides the usual tourist places, e.g. Ouchy, the cathedral, St. Francois, I brought Katy to the restaurant where I had my first meal in Switzerland. I still remember walking around the cathedral and spotting a restaurant with a tiny garden tucked away in a small street below. Inside the restaurant (Chandler de Creperie), it was packed with people eating crepe for lunch – my first encounter with savory crepe. When Katy and I went to the Chandler this time, it was still packed with people, and the crepes were as good as I remembered.

The Olympics Museum

The stained glass at the Cathedral Check out the savory crepe!

We spent three days at Pierre's house. It was fun to hang out with his kids, especially Benjamin, the youngest of five kids. Pierre's wife made a nice raclette for dinner – my first raclette in Switzerland two years ago and now Katy's first raclette too. We also went sledging and took a road trip to Sion. I felt like a kid again when I was around his kids. One evening we went to his neighbor's place for a Christmas party. Every year his neighbours arranged a party almost every night in December, so people can socialize and have fun. That evening we had way too much raclette.

Pierre's son, Nicolas, flying in mid-air
Pierre's daughter, Caroline

Aren't they cute little devils? :)
Swiss Raclette
We also spent a few days at Townsend's place and made a couple day trips to Gruyere and Montreux. It was my first time visiting Gruyere, population 300, in winter. God, it was a beautiful sight with snow everywhere. On our train ride to Gruyere, we met two gentlemen who were going to Gruyere as well and guided us on a trail to the town. Guess who they were going to have brunch with? Michelle, the son of Charlie Chaplin!

Katy chilling out on a bench in Gruyère
view from Gruyère

"The Aliens" museum


Gruyère castle

Church in Gruyère


the path leading up to Gruyère
the world-renown Gruyère cheese

No comments: